Monday, November 5, 2012

On the road again

Yesterday we drove from Battambang back to Phnom Penh. So far during the trip the restrooms, or water closets as its referred to here, have been normal flushing toilets. Yesterday, I got to see my first squat toilet. These things are basically a hole in the floor that you squat over, hence the name. There might be a formal name for it, but I think squat toilet is more appropriate. Let me tell you that it's not a good idea to drink a pot of tea at lunch if you're going on a long drive here, there are no McDonald's or really any convenient place to stop at. After I really just couldn't hold it any longer, we came up to a rest stop of sorts. When I saw the stalls with the sopping wet floors, I said NO FUCKING WAY. I rather pee on the side of the road. Luckily a little further up was gas station and I was able to use the facilities there.

So we're back in Phnom Penh and we drove by the riverfront and I was less impressed this time. I think if anyone wants to come to Cambodia, Siem Reap is the only city worth visiting. Phnom Penh is so dirty and it seems that there's constant construction and the buildings look very dilapidated. Construction would be fine if it didn't consist of mounds of dirt and junk laying everywhere.


We had a few errands to run before we got back to the hotel around 5 pm and then my mom and I were off to see the baby. Alex is my brother and his sister-in-law gave birth during the night. The baby was cute, like all babies. The poor mom had to have a c-section and she looked so uncomfortable. People say I look like the mom, but it's probably because we're both on the fat side.

The hospital rooms are weird, of course. The VIP rooms, from the outside, reminds me of the kind of room they put crazy people in. And there's no waiting room so if you don't have a fancy room, you have to wait outside the building for your friends/family. So people bring stuff and basically camp out outside the hospital. So weird...





No comments:

Post a Comment