Friday, November 2, 2012

Angkor Wat/Angor Thom

I knew it would happen eventually, but just wasn't sure when. Yesterday was the day! Stomach problems. I didn't want to deal with any possible issues so I took an Immodium AD and that was that. Gross, I know but weren't you wondering how my stomach would handle the food here???

Ok, on to better topics.
My dad had bought a map the day before of the temples and such. It would have been more helpful if the map wasn't in FRENCH, but it was still useful.

We went to Angkor Wat and then Angor Thom. We also went to another temple called Preah Khan. All of it was really neat. It's really amazing the detailed stonework and the height at which these temples rise.

Most of these temples were built in the 12th century. In the past, people used to pillage and take statues and such out of the temples so you'll see stands that no longer hold any statues and of course, age and weather has led to most of the deterioration.

Around Angkor Wat, there's a huge moat that surrounds the temple. And at Angkor Thom, there are four entrances to the temple and all the structures have four faces, one for each side.










No comments:

Post a Comment